Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
This talk take a deep look at some of the basics of programming: expressions, statements, scope and how we represent data. We’ll look at these concepts to through the lens of a functional programmer to see how this, contrasts to the way an Object Oriented programmer might do things. We’ll look at how these ideas effect application architecture both “in the large” and “in the small”. “In the large” meaning overall system design and “in the small” meaning design of individual classes, methods and functions.
Once we've examined the basics, we’ll go on to take a look at one of the biggest problems faced by software developers: complexity. We’ll see how complexity can either be accidental or essential. We’ll see how expression oriented programming can help us avoid accidental complexity and help us crawl out of the tar pit.The examples will see will use F#, but the ideas will be applicable to any language that encourages the use of expressions rather than statements.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Art and Neural Network with F# - Audience Level: Beginner (SkillsCast recorded in April 2017)
- Lightbend Akka for Scala - Professional (in London on 11th - 12th November 2019)
- Lightbend Scala Language - Professional (in London on 10th - 11th December 2019)
- Clojure eXchange 2019 (in London on 2nd - 3rd December 2019)
- Scala eXchange London 2019 (in London on 12th - 13th December 2019)
- Code Kata: Yilin Wei - Optics with Monocle (in London on 22nd October 2019)
- Keynote by Konrad Kokosa: What’s New in .NET Core 3.0 and .NET 5.0 for Performance and Memory-Aware Folks? (in London on 29th October 2019)
- Keynote: (Programming Languages) in Agda = Programming (Languages in Agda) (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Keynote: Haskell is a Great Host (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)