Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
The case study is spray-json-shapeless, a library that uses shapeless to derive serialisers for consumption by spray-json. You will learn about concepts such as Hipster.Aux, Generic, HList, Coproduct, Lazy and Strict, as well as some caveats (i.e. bugs in the Scala compiler) that can restrict what is possible. You will be involved in applying what you have learnt to S-Expression serialisation, which is exactly how the ENSIME SWANKY protocol works.
Time permitting, you will also take a tour of lesser-known features of shapeless that are being used by ENSIME to solve problems at compile time (that are often solved with verbose runtime reflection).
Code and setup instructions are available in this Github repo
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- High Performance Linear Algebra in Scala (SkillsCast recorded in December 2014)
- Essential Effects | ScalaCon Workshop (Online Course on 10th - 13th May 2021)
- Akka Streams for Scala | ScalaCon Workshop (Online Course on 10th - 12th May 2021)
- ScalaCon 2021 (Online Conference on 18th - 22nd May 2021)
- An Introduction to Cats Effect with Adam Rosien (Online Meetup on 22nd April 2021)
- Software Modernisation: A Strategic Approach (SkillsCast recorded in July 2020)
- Espresso Patronum: The Magic Of The Robot Pattern (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)