Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
The case study is spray-json-shapeless, a library that uses shapeless to derive serialisers for consumption by spray-json. You will learn about concepts such as Hipster.Aux, Generic, HList, Coproduct, Lazy and Strict, as well as some caveats (i.e. bugs in the Scala compiler) that can restrict what is possible. You will be involved in applying what you have learnt to S-Expression serialisation, which is exactly how the ENSIME SWANKY protocol works.
Time permitting, you will also take a tour of lesser-known features of shapeless that are being used by ENSIME to solve problems at compile time (that are often solved with verbose runtime reflection).
Code and setup instructions are available in this Github repo
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- High Performance Linear Algebra in Scala (SkillsCast recorded in December 2014)
- Crafting Code with Sandro Mancuso (Online Course on 14th - 15th October 2021)
- Akka Streams for Scala | ScalaCon Workshop (Online Course on 25th - 27th October 2021)
- ScalaCon 2021: November Edition (Online Conference on 2nd - 5th November 2021)
- Journey to the Centre of the JVM (SkillsCast recorded in May 2021)
- Connecting the dots - building and structuring a functional application in Scala (SkillsCast recorded in May 2021)