A SkillsCast for this session is not available.
One of the myths about F# and functional programming is that it is only good for complex mathematics. This could not be further from truth. A web server is essentially a function from a request to a response and so functional programming is a perfect fit for it.
In this tutorial, you'll learn all you need to get started with building web applications in F# using the Suave.io server. We'll start with an walkthrough that introduces the basic F# concepts and constructs and uses them to build a simple interactive web site. By the end of the workshop, you'll write an application that accesses multiple external data sources asynchronously, presents data through a web page and can be easily deployed to Azure or Heroku.
You will learn:
· Domain modelling with F# - how can we model what data structures we're working with
· How to use F# type providers to access JSON-based REST services as well as XML and CSV files
· How to write web applications using Suave.io and how to deploy them to Heroku and Azure
· No prior knowledge of F# or Suave.io is required. You also don't need too much .NET knowledge, so people coming from other communities are more than welcome!
· You'll need a Mac, Windows or Linux laptop with F# installed. See www.fsharp.org for installation instructions.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Functional web development with F#
Tomas is a computer scientist and open-source developer. He is a Visiting Researcher at the Alan Turing Institute working on tools for open data-driven storytelling. He wrote a popular book called "Real-World Functional Programming" and is a lead developer of several F# open-source libraries.