Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
Support for SVG finally arrived to Android in the form of vector drawables. You have replaced (or you are planning to replace) absolutely all your PNGs with VectorDrawables and your APK is smaller. Hurrah!
But now your app feels slower, the render time of your views has increased and you don’t know why!
In this talk, Florina will describe how vector drawables work and how they are rendered. Florina will share with you how big the difference in render time can be between vector drawables and PNGs for drawing areas bigger than 200x200dp and how to improve this. Finally, she will prove that having multiple resources for the same vector drawable is actually beneficial for performance.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Keynote: Pragmatic Crafting (SkillsCast recorded in October 2018)
- iOS Architecture with Jorge Ortiz-Fuentes (Online Course on 1st - 3rd March 2021)
- Android Architecture with Jorge Ortiz-Fuentes (Online Course on 17th - 19th March 2021)
- Shpadoinkle User Interface Programming (Lightning Talk) (SkillsCast recorded in November 2020)
- Accessibility in Flutter (SkillsCast recorded in August 2020)
Optimising The Performance Of VectorDrawables
Florina is working as an Android Developer Advocate at Google, helping developers architect clean, testable apps using the Architecture Components libraries. She has been working with Android for 8 years, previous work covering news at upday, payment solutions at payleven and navigation services at Garmin.