Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
In this talk, you will get a practical overview of various functional structures that allows building powerful, highly-composable and purely-functional abstractions. The primary goal of this session is to delve into these structures and gain insight on applying them in solving real-world problems.
From scratch, you will learn to construct the Scala type classes to represent these structures. Starting with basic constructs such as Semigroups and Monoids, you will continue exploring structures such as Functors, Applicative Functors, Monads and finally, Monad Transformers. Alongside, from the practical point of view, you will discover the essence of these structures in encoding purely functional programs that are robust, comprehensible and correct-by-construction.
No prior knowledge of functional programming is assumed in this talk.
The Call for Papers is now open for Scala eXchange 2017! Submit your talk for the chance to join a stellar line-up of experts on stage. Find out more.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Lightbend Akka for Scala - Professional (in London on 11th - 12th November 2019)
- Advanced Scala with Dick Wall (in London on 9th - 11th December 2019)
- Clojure eXchange 2019 (in London on 2nd - 3rd December 2019)
- Scala eXchange London 2019 (in London on 12th - 13th December 2019)
- The Five Stages of Data: a holistic approach to data analytics and BI (in London on 21st October 2019)
- Code Kata: Yilin Wei - Optics with Monocle (in London on 22nd October 2019)
- Lightning Talk: The Elm Architecture in Haskell: Managing state with multiple threads (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Lightning Talk: The Power Of Const (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
The Essence of Functional Structures - Advanced
Adil is a Lead Engineer at ING in Amsterdam. He is a functional programmer and is primarily hacking with Scala, Haskell and F#. He has been building distributed and data-driven software systems with Scala since 2010 for companies such as TomTom, SDL, Wehkamp, etc. In spare time, he spends time on Cats, FS2 and Idris. Also, he organizes different programming meetups and gives talks time-to-time.