Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
The Screenplay Pattern, first created by Antony Marcano, is an alternative model to PageObjects. Today, it is growing in popularity with increasing tool support in popular testing frameworks.
PageObjects provide an easy-to-follow, simple structure that avoids early maintenance issues. They were introduced to help test-developers avoid mistaking flaky tests for problems with Selenium. But, PageObjects break some key OO design rules, making maintenance more difficult over time. They are a useful first step, but why do we stop there?
In this session you’ll learn about the SOLID design principles that PageObjects disregard. You’ll see why this leads to problems. You’ll see how and why PageObjects benefit from refactoring to SOLID design principles. Finally, you’ll meet the Screenplay Pattern – an alternative model based on SOLID principles that saves you the trouble.
The Call for Papers is now open for Agile Testing & BDD 2017! Submit your talk for the chance to join a stellar line-up of experts on stage. Find out more.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- 5 Mistakes Made in Agile Transformations (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
- Certified Scrum Master with Abid Quereshi (Online Course on 24th - 25th February 2021)
- Agile at Scale with Joakim Sundén (Online Course on 1st - 4th March 2021)
- P3X — People Product Process eXchange 2021 (Online Conference on 15th - 16th September 2021)
- Agile During the Time of Jesus (SkillsCast recorded in December 2020)
- The Death of Silos (SkillsCast recorded in December 2020)
Screenplay pattern - a SOLID alternative to Page Objects
Antony Marcano is co-founder of RiverGlide, a coaching, consultancy and training firm helping teams and organisations innovate with agility. He has been in software development for nearly 25 years, almost 20 of which have been either working in teams or guiding them and the organisations around them, as they aspire to greater agility. Antony is as much a practitioner as he is coach, consultant and trainer in topics from writing communicative, maintainable code to User Stories & BDD to effective team models, approaching change and Kent Beck's emerging 3X framework.