Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
In this talk we'll discuss some compelling use cases of shapeless, a library for generic programming in Scala. Example will include: deriving type class instances, generating metadata based on types, and eliminating wildcards. We'll cover key pieces of theory along the way, including generic representations, polymorphic functions, and some of the finer aspects of implicit resolution in Scala.
The talk is aimed at established Scala developers who haven't yet got to grips with shapeless. It will compliment Dave's workshop from Scala World 2016 entitled "The Type Astronaut's Guide to Shapeless". You'll find a short open source eBook of the same name available on Dave's Github. The book is not required reading for the talk, but it is a useful resource if you want to get into this fascinating and powerful style of Scala programming.
The Call for Papers is now open for Scala eXchange 2017! Submit your talk for the chance to join a stellar line-up of experts on stage. Find out more.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Scala eXchange 2018 Opening - Welcome to Day 1! (SkillsCast recorded in December 2018)
- Lightbend Scala Language - Professional (in London on 9th - 10th September 2019)
- Lightbend Scala Language - Expert (in London on 11th - 13th September 2019)
- Scala eXchange London 2019 (in London on 12th - 13th December 2019)
- Keynote by Dick Wall on Why API Design Matters, and Why Yours Sucks! (and mine sucks too!) (in London on 24th June 2019)
- London Java Community June (in London on 25th June 2019)
- The Elements of Tagless Final Style (SkillsCast recorded in May 2019)
- Scala 2.13 and Beyond! (SkillsCast recorded in April 2019)
Establishing Orbit with Shapeless - Beginner
Dave is a developer, trainer, and partner at underscore.io. He has spent over a decade programming, speaking at conferences, and writing books on functional programming.