Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
In this talk we'll discuss some compelling use cases of shapeless, a library for generic programming in Scala. Example will include: deriving type class instances, generating metadata based on types, and eliminating wildcards. We'll cover key pieces of theory along the way, including generic representations, polymorphic functions, and some of the finer aspects of implicit resolution in Scala.
The talk is aimed at established Scala developers who haven't yet got to grips with shapeless. It will compliment Dave's workshop from Scala World 2016 entitled "The Type Astronaut's Guide to Shapeless". You'll find a short open source eBook of the same name available on Dave's Github. The book is not required reading for the talk, but it is a useful resource if you want to get into this fascinating and powerful style of Scala programming.
The Call for Papers is now open for Scala eXchange 2017! Submit your talk for the chance to join a stellar line-up of experts on stage. Find out more.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Scala eXchange London 2019 (in London on 12th - 13th December 2019)
- Scalax2gether Community Day 2019 (in London on 14th December 2019)
- Functional Interpreters and You (SkillsCast recorded in December 2018)
- Lightbend Akka for Scala - Professional (in London on 11th - 12th November 2019)
- Advanced Scala with Dick Wall (in London on 9th - 11th December 2019)
- Code Kata: Yilin Wei - Optics with Monocle (in London on 22nd October 2019)
- Don’t keep it to yourself - openness and honesty in the workplace (in London on 30th October 2019)
- Abstract Data Types In The Region Of Abysmal Pain, And How To Navigate Them (SkillsCast recorded in September 2019)
- The Last Frontier and Beyond (SkillsCast recorded in August 2019)
Establishing Orbit with Shapeless - Beginner
Dave is a developer, trainer, and partner at underscore.io. He has spent over a decade programming, speaking at conferences, and writing books on functional programming.