Please log in to watch this conference skillscast.
This is a case study from a product and business analysis perspective on how to adopt BDD within a project that started as a journey on the highway to hell but where Cosmina and her team managed to turn the odds in their favour and convert the road to hell into a stairway to heaven.
Status quo: big projects coming up, no agreed requirements and tight deadlines. The development team needed to get some simple things from the product owners and that was fast & high quality requirements. On the other hand, the stakeholders expected the development team to deliver the features that mattered. Both sides agreed that there was a need for improvement regarding the way they delivered software and this is how they got together for the BDD journey.
BDD principles & tools, such as impact mapping and example mapping, were applied to get from business goals to executable specifications. Still, Cosmina and her team did some trials which helped them learn some valuable lessons. One of the biggest was that the extensive Gherkin scenario did not work given the circumstances and the day to day fast pace in which they were all working. In the end, they switched from doing analysis at the begging of the project to a collaborative specification of the requirements which was more adapted to the team and the type of work they were doing.
Cosmina wants to share the experience of applying BDD within a company that creates platforms for the gaming industry through a department with 3 scrum teams. The adoption of BDD was not a simple one as the team still has unanswered questions. Nonetheless, a retrospective for one year of applying BDD shows that there are different lessons that they have learned and that could be valuable to other teams that might have similar issues and don't yet have the right answers.
The Call for Papers is now open for Agile Testing & BDD 2017! Submit your talk for the chance to join a stellar line-up of experts on stage. Find out more.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Martine Devos' Certified Scrum Master, Estimation & Planning Class (in London on 4th - 5th November 2019)
- Jenny Martin's BDD From Start to Finish - Successful Delivery through Continuous Collaboration (in London on 4th - 6th November 2019)
- P3X - People, Product & Process eXchange 2019 (in London on 31st October - 1st November 2019)
- 2 Presentations: Kubernetes Ingress & DevOps and Microservices Better Together (in London on 17th October 2019)
- Right to Left - Outcome Driven Agility (in London on 21st October 2019)
- RedisTimeSeries = A Time Series Database using Redis (SkillsCast recorded in October 2019)
- Resilience and Chaos Engineering at Hotels.com (SkillsCast recorded in September 2019)