How do you transform a traditionally un-data-orientated business into being data-driven armed with R, data science processes and plenty of enthusiasm? Alice Daish shares her experience of transforming the 250-year-old British Museum to be data-driven by 2018.
With the exponential growth of data, more and more businesses are demanding to become data-driven. Seeking value from their data, big data and data science initiatives; jobs and skill sets have risen up the business agenda. R, being a data scientists’ best friend, plays an important role in this transformation. But how do you transform a traditionally un-data-orientated business into being data-driven armed with R, data science processes and plenty of enthusiasm?
The first data scientist at a museum shares her experience on the journey to transform the 250-year-old British Museum to be data-driven by 2018. How is one of the most popular museums in the world, with 6.8 million annual visitors, using R to achieve a data-driven transition?
• Data wrangling
• Exploring data to make informed decisions
• Winning stakeholders’ support with data visualisations and dashboard
• Predictive modelling
• Future uses including internet of things, machine learning etc.
Using R and data science, any organisation can become data driven. With data and analytical skills demand higher than supply, more businesses need to know that R is part of the solution and that R is a great language to learn for individuals wanting to get into data science.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Fast Track to Machine Learning with Louis Dorard (in London on 21st - 23rd May 2018)
- Brian Sletten's Data Science with R Workshop (in London on 2nd - 4th July 2018)
- Infiniteconf 2018 - The conference on Big Data and AI (in London on 5th - 6th July 2018)
- Blockchain by Brian Sletten (in London on 9th - 10th July 2018)
Transforming a Museum to be data-driven using R
Alice Daish is a Data Scientist with experience in using data for decision making and organisational data transformation. Previously working at The British Museum focusing on making the museum data-driven. Co-Founder of R- Ladies Global and Leadership Team. Microsoft MVP. Registered Scientist previously trained in ecology and quantitative biology.