With the exponential growth of data, more and more businesses are demanding to become data-driven. Seeking value from their data, big data and data science initiatives; jobs and skill sets have risen up the business agenda. R, being a data scientists’ best friend, plays an important role in this transformation. But how do you transform a traditionally un-data-orientated business into being data-driven armed with R, data science processes and plenty of enthusiasm?
The first data scientist at a museum shares her experience on the journey to transform the 250-year-old British Museum to be data-driven by 2018. How is one of the most popular museums in the world, with 6.8 million annual visitors, using R to achieve a data-driven transition?
• Data wrangling
• Exploring data to make informed decisions
• Winning stakeholders’ support with data visualisations and dashboard
• Predictive modelling
• Future uses including internet of things, machine learning etc.
Using R and data science, any organisation can become data driven. With data and analytical skills demand higher than supply, more businesses need to know that R is part of the solution and that R is a great language to learn for individuals wanting to get into data science.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- How Qual and Quant Can Work Together (SkillsCast recorded in April 2018)
- Haskell Fundamentals (2-Day Course) with Alejandro Serrano (Online Course on 5th - 6th July 2021)
- Haskell Fundamentals (4-Day Course) with Alejandro Serrano (Online Course on 8th - 11th November 2021)
- Haskell eXchange 2021 (Online Conference on 16th - 17th November 2021)
- Agile Functional Data Pipeline in Haskell: A Case Study of Multicloud API Binding (SkillsCast recorded in November 2020)
- Rethinking Bioinformatic Algorithms Using F# (SkillsCast recorded in October 2020)
Transforming a Museum to be data-driven using R
Alice Daish is a Data Scientist with experience in using data for decision making and organisational data transformation. Previously working at The British Museum focusing on making the museum data-driven. Co-Founder of R- Ladies Global and Leadership Team. Microsoft MVP. Registered Scientist previously trained in ecology and quantitative biology.