We all know the description of the Data Scientist being “The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century”, but do you have a clear understanding of what Data Science actually is? Chiin and Alice Daish are at this month's LBAG to help us find the answer!
In this talk, Data Science practitioners Alice and Chiin will present experience-based insights that enable clarity about this undoubtedly red hot but nebulous trend, by sharing coherent definitions, frameworks, and facts that help clear up some of the key areas of confusion. They will outline their view of Data Science best-practices, common misconceptions, pitfalls, and practical tips for those looking to make a career transition. This talk will ultimately deliver awareness about the reality of the Data Science profession, and help demystify the hype.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- How Qual and Quant Can Work Together (SkillsCast recorded in April 2018)
- Fast Track to Machine Learning with Louis Dorard (in London on 15th - 17th July 2019)
- Leonardo De Marchi's Deep Learning Fundamentals (in London on 22nd - 23rd October 2019)
- Infiniteconf 2019 - A one-day community celebration of Big Data, Machine Learning and AI (in London on 4th July 2019)
- CloudNative London 2019 (in London on 25th - 27th September 2019)
- Keynote by Dick Wall on Why API Design Matters, and Why Yours Sucks! (and mine sucks too!) (in London on 24th June 2019)
- IWDS 23: Intro to Natural Language Processing (NLP) - 1/2 (in London on 24th June 2019)
- Achieve 100% Analytics Adoption with a New Class of Enterprise Intelligence (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
- Data Engineering in Badoo: handling 20 billion events per day (SkillsCast recorded in June 2019)
Demystifying Data Science
Chiin is the Head of Data Science at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, leading the establishment of a new data science capability. She has an Economics degree from the University of Cambridge, and interest in applied microeconomics topics. Founder & Co-Founder of R-Ladies London & Global, Chiin is a keen R evangelist and active promoter of computing to underrepresented minorities. Professional specialisms include data-centric leadership, econometrics, digital analytics, visualisation, data democratisation, and strategic insight.
Alice Daish is a Data Scientist with experience in using data for decision making and organisational data transformation. Previously working at The British Museum focusing on making the museum data-driven. Co-Founder of R- Ladies Global and Leadership Team. Microsoft MVP. Registered Scientist previously trained in ecology and quantitative biology.